Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Dr. Epstein’s consulting areas include healthcare reform and policy at the local, state, and federal levels, as well as ED operations with a special interest in ED crowding and its solutions. He is well versed in recent concepts introduced by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, such as accountable care organizations, value-based purchasing, and episodes of care.
Dr. Epstein is the developer of the ED Workscore, an objective ED crowding measure, and has served on the Massachusetts Department of Public Health’s ED Boarding and Patient Flow Task Force, and is co-chair of the Society of Academic Emergency Medicine’s crowding interest group. He completed a master’s degree in public policy at the Harvard Kennedy School and his emergency medicine residency at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis.
- Dr. Epstein is an Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Epstein has also recently been a featured speaker with a private consulting firm working with pharmaceutical companies in the areas of marketing and compliance.
- Epstein SK, Burstein JL, Case RB, Gardner AF, Herman SH, Hirshon JM, Jermyn JW, McKay MP, Mitchiner JC, Sullivan WP, Wagner MJ, Beer S, Tiberi L, Price C, Cunningham R, Wilkerson D, Bromley M, Geist M, Gore L, Singh CA, Wheeler G, Gleason SF, Decker J, Gwinner VM, Schwalberg RH. The National Report Card on the State of Emergency Medicine: evaluating the emergency care environment state by state 2009 edition. Ann Emerg Med. 2009;53(1):4-148.
- Epstein SK, Tian L. Development of an Emergency Department Workscore to Predict Ambulance Diversion. Acad Emerg Med. 2006;13(4):421-426.
- Bernstein SL, Aronsky D, Duseja R, Epstein S, Handel D, Hwang U, McCarthy M, John McConnell K, Pines JM, Rathlev N, Schafermeyer R, Zwemer F, Schull M, Asplin BR, The effect of emergency department crowding on clinically oriented outcomes. Acad Emerg Med. 2009;16(1):1-10.
- Hoot NR, Epstein SK, Allen TL, Jones SS, Baumlin KM, Chawla N, Lee AT, et al. Forecasting emergency department crowding: an external, multicenter evaluation ED. Ann Emerg Med 2009;54(4):514-522.
- M.D., 1992, Harvard Medical School