Director, Disaster Medicine Fellowship Program, BIDMC
Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Editor-in-Chief, Ciottone’s Disaster Medicine, 2nd Edition
Instructor, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
President, World Association for Disaster and Emergency Medicine
Dr. Ciottone has dedicated his career to the academic advancement of Disaster Medicine through a combination of field work, research, and scholarly activity. He has taught educational programs in Disaster Medicine and Emergency Management in over 30 countries around the world, and has consulted domestically for the US State Department, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Justice, and the White House Medical Unit. He has written over 100 scholarly works, including the first and second edition of the leading textbook in the field Ciottone’s Disaster Medicine, named in his honor, and in 2016 was recognized by the Physician to the President for “Outstanding achievement in support of the White House Medical Unit and the President of the United States.” Dr. Ciottone was the 2018 recipient of the Disaster Medical Sciences Award from the American College of Emergency Physicians, and in 2019 he was elected President of the World Association for Disaster and Emergency Medicine (WADEM). He is also the 2020 recipient of the American Academy of Disaster Medicine Distinguished Service Award.
Dr. Ciottone’s clinical and field experience includes 25 years as a practicing emergency physician and over 500 missions as a flight physician on an aeromedical helicopter service. Early in his career he worked with the United States Agency for International Development to create and implement sustainable disaster medical education programs throughout the former Soviet Union that trained over 50,000 healthcare providers in Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Emergency Medicine, and Disaster Medicine. He later helped lead an International Atomic Energy Agency nuclear accident preparedness program for Eastern Europe. He also served as commander of one of the first federal disaster medical assistance teams (DMAT Massachuestts-2) into Ground Zero during the World Trade Center disaster on 9/11/2001, and has deployed to a number of other crises around the world, including the Haiti earthquake. Dr. Ciottone has held visiting professorship posts in Disaster Medicine at Vrije Universiteit Brussel in Belgium and Universita del Piemonte Orientale in Italy.
Dr. Ciottone is currently working with international universities to form collaborative Centers of Excellence in Disaster Medicine. As of 2020, centers have been established in China, France, San Marino, India, and St. Maarten, with more in development.
Recent speaking engagements include:
- Keynote Address, Gulfthoracic 2012, Dubai, UAE
- Invited Speaker, International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Dublin, Ireland 2012
- Keynote Address, International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Ministry of the Interior, Abu Dhabi UAE 2013
- Invited Speaker, International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Abu Dhabi Police and Public Health, UAE 2014
- Keynote Address, Saudi Emergency Medicine Assembly, Riyadh Saudi Arabia 2015
- Keynote Address, Sino-American Conference on Disaster Medicine, Tianjin China 2015
- Keynote Address, Emirates Society of Emergency Medicine Scientific Assembly, Abu Dhabi UAE 2015
- Invited TEDx Talk on Crisis Leadership, Tallinn, Estonia 2015
- Keynote Address,Second International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Abu Dhabi UAE 2016
- Invited Speaker, Conference on CBRNE and Terrorism, University of Rome, Rome, Italy 2017
- Keynote Address, 3rdAnnual Critical Care Conference, Dubai UAE 2017
- Keynote Address, Peiyang National Conference on Emergency Medicine, Tianjin China 2018
- Keynote Address, 4th International Symposium on Mass Casualties, Sao Paolo Brazil 2018
- Keynote Address, International Conference on Disaster Medicine and Hurricane Resiliency, St. Maarten
- Keynote Address, International Conference on Disaster Medicine, Zhengzhou China 2018
- Keynote Address, World Association for Disaster and Emergency Medicine, Brisbane, Australia 2019
- Keynote Address, International Conference on Disaster Medicine, Toulouse France 2019
- Invited Speaker, International Conference on Prehospital Trauma and Critical Care, Sundsvall Sweden 2019
- Keynote Address, Annual Meeting on Emergency and Disaster Medicine, Chinese Medical Doctors Association, Shenzhen China 2019
- Keynote Address, Mass Casualty Incidents: Preparedness and Response. The First International Conference for Disaster Medicine-2019 (ICDM-2019), The General Directorate of Emergencies, Disasters & Ambulance Services, Ministry of Health, Riyadh Saudi Arabia 2019
- Keynote Address, Health Security in Mass Gatherings: Better The Planning Than The Plan, 4th International Conference on Mass Gatherings Medicine sponsored by the Ministry of Health and under the patronage of the King, Jeddah Saudi Arabia 2019
- Keynote Address, Medical Leadership in in the Management of Terrorist Events, 3rd Annual French American Conference on Emergency Medicine, Paris Descartes University, Paris, France 2019
- Invited Speaker, Crisis Leadership in Pandemics, COVID-19 workshop, Dubai Executive Counsel, United Arab Emirates 2020
- Invited Speaker, Crisis Leadership During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Crisis Leadership Workshop for the United Arab Emirates Ministry of Health, UAE 2020
- Featured Speaker, Disaster and Healthcare, Jordanian Society of Emergency Medicine conference, Amman Jordan 2020
Recent publications include:
- Ciottone GR, Editor-in-Chief, Ciottone’s Disaster Medicine 2ndEdition, Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2016 (3rd edition In Press)
- Hertelendy AJ, Burkle F, Greenia E, Goniewicz K, Ciottone GR, Donahue DA. A new core competency for healthcare administrators: Discussing the need for emergency and disaster management education in the graduate healthcare administration curriculum. Journal of Health Administration Education. In Press
- AlFalasi R, Ciottone GR. Terrorists use of Ambulances for Terror Attacks: A Review. Prehosp Disaster Med. In Press
- Court M, Edwards E, Issa F, Voskanyan A, Ciottone GR. Counter-Terrorism Medicine: Creating A Medical Initiative Mandated by Escalating Asymmetric Attacks. Prehosp Disaster Med. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2020 Aug 14;1-4
- Margus C, Sarin RR, Molloy M, Ciottone GR. Crisis Standards of Care Implementation at the State Level in the United States. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2020;1-5.
- Al-Thani H, Frazier T, Hertelendy AJ, Asim M, Ciottone GR, El-Menyar A. Prehospital Intervals and In-Hospital Trauma Mortality: A Retrospective Study from a Level 1 Trauma Center. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2020;35(5):508-515.
- Hertelendy A, Ciottone, GR, Mitchell C, Gutberg J, Burkle F. Crisis Standards of Care in a Pandemic: Navigating the Ethical, Clinical, Psychological, and Policy-Making Maelstrom. International Journal for Quality in Health Care. https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzaa094
- Hart A, Hertelendy A, Ciottone GR. Why Every US Hospital Needs a Disaster Trained Physician. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2020;1-4.
- Awoniyi O, Weiner D, Hart A, Ciottone GR. Practical Solutions for Healthcare Worker Protection During the CoViD-19 Pandemic Response in the Ambulatory, Emergency, and Inpatient Settings. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. J Occup Environ Med. 2020;10.1097/JOM.0000000000002008.
- Khan A, Yezl S, Ciottone GR, Borodina M, Ranse M, Gautret P, Turris S, Lund A, Memish ZA, Sharma A, Mahomed O, Parker S, Asiri A, Jokhdar H. Recommendations from the 4th International Conference on Mass Gatherings Medicine, Saudi Arabia. East Mediterr Health J. 2020;26(5):503-505.
- Ciottone GR, Hertelendy A. Ten minutes with Dr Gregory R Ciottone, MD, FACEP, FFSEM, President of the World Association for Disaster and Emergency Medicine. BMJ Leader Published Online First: 13 May 2020. doi: 10.1136/leader-2020-000269
- Ciottone GR. COVID-19: The United States Experience. Saudi Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2020;1(2):035–036
- Gout L, Hart A, Sarin RR, Ciottone GR, Bounes V. Creating a Novel Disaster Medicine Virtual Reality Training Environment. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2020 Apr;35(2):225-228
- Al Mulhim MA; Darling RG, Sarin RR, Hart A, Kamal H, Al Hadhira A, Voskanyan A, Hofmann L, Connor B, Band R, Jones J, Tubb R; Jackson R, Baez AA, Wasser E, Conley S, Lang W, Ciottone GR, A Dignitary Medicine Curriculum Developed Using a Modified Delphi Methodology. Int J Emerg Med. 2020 Feb 21;13(1):1
- Argote-Aramendiz K, Molloy MS, Hart A, Voskanyan A, Sarin R, Ciottone GR. Effect of Road Safety Laws on Deaths and Injuries from Road Traffic Collisions in Colombia. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2020;35(4):397-405.
- Hart A, Bortolin M, Awoniyi O, Alhajjaj F, Ciottone GR. A Proposed COVID-19 Testing Algorithm. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2020;1.
- Alhadhira A; Molloy MS, Casasola M, Sarin RR, Massey M, Voskanyan A, Ciottone GR. Use of Dimensional Analysis in the X, Y, and Z Axis to Predict Occurrence of Injury in Human Stampede. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2019 Jul 5:1-8
- Sarin RR, Biddinger P, Brown J, Burstein JL, Burkle, Jr. FM, Char D, Ciottone GR, Hick JL, Koenig KL, Little C, Schultz C, Maggin J, Goralnick E. Core Disaster Medicine Education (CDME) for Emergency Medicine Residents in the United States. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2019 Aug 28:1-8
- Al Mulhim MA, Darling RG, Kamal H, Voskanyan A, Ciottone GR. Dignitary Medicine: A Novel Area of Medical Training. Cureus 2019 Oct 11(10): e5962. DOI 10.7759/cureus.5962
- Hart A, Toma M, Issa F, Ciottone GR. Absence of Cultural Awareness Training in International Non-Governmental Organizations. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2019 Oct;34(5):486-488
- Sarin RR, Hick JL, Livinski A, Nieratko J, Treber M, Mazurek A, Brannman S, Biddinger P, Burstein J, Ciottone GR, Goldberg S, Milsten A, Nemeth I, Goralnick E. Disaster Medicine: A Comprehensive Review of the Literature From 2016. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2019 Jun 19:1-12
- Ciottone GR. Toxidrome Recognition in Chemical-Weapons Attack. New England Journal of Medicine, New Eng J Med. 2018 Apr 26;378(17):1611-1620
- Molloy MS, Robertson, CM, Ciottone GR. Fit to deploy or deployment fitness; The Chester Step test (CST) a reliable, reproducible method of assessing disaster deployment personnel physical fitness. South Med J. 2017 Aug;110(8):494-496
- Sarin RR, Cattamanchi S, Alqahtani A, Aljohani M, Keim M, Ciottone GR. Disaster Education: A Survey Study To Analyze Disaster Medicine Training in Emergency Medicine Residency Programs in the United States. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2017 Mar 20:1-6
- Bortolin M, Morelli I, Voskanyan A, Joyce NR, Ciottone GR. Earthquake-Related Orthopedic Injuries in Adult Population: A Systematic Review. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2017 Jan 30:1-8
- Al-Shareef AS, Alsulimani LK, Bojan HM, Masri TM, Grimes JO, Molloy MS, Ciottone GR. Evaluation of Hospitals’ Disaster Preparedness Plans in the Holy City of Makkah (Mecca): A Cross-Sectional Observation Study. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2017 Feb;32(1):33-45
- M.D., University of Massachusetts School of Medicine