Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Dr. Kelly specializes in geriatric emergency medicine, overcrowding management, and the development of educational outcome measures for residency programs. He has worked on emergency medicine projects in Haiti, Italy, Russia, and Mexico.
He previously served as the BIDMC Harvard Medical School (HMS) clerkship director for emergency medicine and continues to participate in many undergraduate and graduate teaching and administrative activities. Dr. Kelly is a student mentor and faculty advisor for the BIDMC Diversity Committee and a member of the HMS Office for Diversity and Community Partnership Advisory Council. He is a Harvard Macy Scholar and a member of the Academy at HMS. At BIDMC, he served as a resource faculty member for medical education, for which he has implemented several hospital-wide ‘resident as teacher’ and faculty development curricula. Currently, Dr. Kelly is the CMO of a private software company.
Dr. Kelly’s clinical areas of interest include geriatric emergency medicine. As a co-investigator on a Donald W. Reynolds Foundation grant, he developed a curriculum for the Advancement of Geriatric Education at HMS.
- Dr. Kelly is an Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine at Harvard Medical School. At HMS, he presents lectures, precepts all levels of medical students, leads case-based tutorials for the principles of pharmacology course, and serves as an OSCE examiner for the second year program. He has also served as a visiting professor and educational expert for emergency medicine projects in Haiti, Italy, Russia, and Mexico.
- Kelly S, Shapiro N, Woodruff M, Corrigan K, Wolfe R. The effects of clinical workload on teaching in the emergency department. Academic Emergency Medicine 2007; 14 (6): 526-531.
- Fisher J, Sokolove PE, Kelly SP; Overcrowding: harming the patients of tomorrow?; Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Crowding Taskforce Education Workgroup. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2009 Jan;16(1):56-60.
- Kelly SP, Weiner SG, Anderson PD, Irish J, Ciottone G, Pini R, Grifoni S, Rosen P, Ban KM. Learner perception of oral and written examinations in an international medical training program. Int J Emerg Med. 2010 Feb 5;3(1):21-6.
- Weiner S, Kelly S, Rosen P. Ban K. The eight C’s: A guide to success in an international emergency medical educational intervention. Academic Emergency Medicine 2008; Jul; 15(7): 678-82.
- Betz ME, Kelly SP, Fisher J. Death certificate inaccuracy and underreporting of injury in elderly people. Journal of the American Geriatric Society. 2008 Dec; 56(12): 2267-72.
- Gangavati AS, Kiely DK, Kulchycki LK, Wolfe RE, Mottley JL, Kelly SP, Nathanson LA, Abrams AP, Lipsitz LA. Prevalence and Characteristics of Traumatic Intracranial Hemorrhage in Elderly Fallers Presenting to the Emergency Department without Focal Findings. Journal of the American Geriatric Society. 2009 Jun 3.
- Roppolo L, Davis D, Kelly S, Rosen P. Emergency Medicine Handbook: Critical Concepts for Clinical Practice. Philadelphia: Elsevier 2007.
- M.D., University of Massachusetts Medical School