Professor of Emergency Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Dr. Edlow has been involved with the international development of emergency medicine for over 14 years and has participated in educational, quality assessment, and emergency care systems consulting projects in several countries. His specialty areas include ED cost reduction solutions and ED physical layout and facilities redesign. He is an internationally renowned expert on neurological emergencies.
Dr. Edlow completed a residency in internal medicine at Boston City Hospital in 1981. Practicing since 1981, he is board-certified in both emergency medicine and internal medicine. Since 1999, Dr. Edlow has served as Vice Chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at BIDMC. He is also a Professor of Emergency Medicine at Harvard Medical School.
- Planning, implementation, and testing phases of the Tuscan Emergency Medicine Project
- Evaluation phase of the Danish Emergency Medicine project
- Teaching and planning phases of the Iceland Emergency Medicine training project
- Consultations with CHU in Nice, Toulouse and Bordeaux for development of emergency medicine joint projects
Dr. Edlow is a Professor of Emergency Medicine at Harvard Medical School. He lectures nationally and internationally on topics such as stroke, TIA, subarachnoid hemorrhage, and various causes of weakness and dizziness. Dr. Edlow has given lectures in both French and Spanish. To access a video of Dr. Edlow speaking on his book, The Deadly Dinner Party, please click here
- French: conversational
- Spanish: conversational
- Italian: basic
Dr. Edlow has written a book on stroke, as well as two award-winning books for the lay public; one about the history of Lyme disease titled “Bull’s Eye: unraveling the medical mystery of Lyme disease,” and the second titled “The Deadly Dinner Party: 15 true medical detective stories.”
- Bounes V and Edlow, JA; Migraine: Diagnosis and pharmacologic treatment in the emergency department; European Review of Medical and Pharmacological Sciences; 15(2): 215-21; 2011.
- Edlow, JA and Selim M; Atypical Presentations of Acute Cerebrovascular Syndromes; Lancet Neurology; 10: 550-561; 2011.
- Dugas A, Lucas J and Edlow JA; Diagnosis of spinal cord compression in non-trauma patients in the emergency department; Academic Emergency Medicine; 18(7): 719-25; 2011.
- Chase M, Joyce N, Carney E, Salciccioli J, Vinton D, Donnino M and Edlow JA, ED patients with vertigo: can we identify clinical factors associated with acute stroke? American Journal of Emergency Medicine; (in-press, epublished April 2011).
- Hansen C, Fisher J, Joyce N and Edlow, JA; Emergency Department Consultations for Patients with Neurological Emergencies; European Journal of Neurology; 18 (11): 1317-22; 2011 (e-published April 2011).
- M.D., 1978, University of Maryland School of Medicine