Director, Division of Disaster Resilience, BIDMC
Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Editor-in-Chief, Ciottone's Disaster Medicine, 2nd Edition, by Elsevier-Mosby
Dr. Ciottone specializes in Disaster Medicine consulting. He completed a residency in emergency medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in 1994 and is a board-certified emergency physician, as well as an Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine at Harvard Medical School. He is also the Director of the Division of Disaster Resilience at BIDMC where he works clinically in the Department of Emergency Medicine. Dr. Ciottone is the founder and director of the first disaster medicine fellowship program at a Harvard teaching hospital.
Dr. Ciottone has consulted in disaster medicine, emergency management, and emergency medicine in more than 30 countries around the world for over 20 years. Through his sustainable consulting projects, he has trained an estimated 75,000 healthcare professionals. He is currently working in conjunction with Mikhail Gorbachev and the Gorbachev Foundation towards healthcare infrastructure development in Russia. He also works with the US-Russia Bilateral Presidential Commission through the Emergency Situations group and was named by the Russian Federation Ministries of Education and Science as an approved Evaluation Expert for the New Eurasia Foundation.
Dr. Ciottone holds visiting professorships posts in Disaster Medicine at Vrije Universiteit Brussel in Belgium and Universita’ del Piemonte Orientale in Italy.
Recent speaking engagements include:
- Keynote Address, Gulfthoracic 2012, Intercontinental Hotel, Dubai
- Featured Speaker, Extreme Medicine Conference and Expo, Royal Society of Medicine, London
- Speaker, International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Dublin
- Speaker, Misr University of Science and Technology, Cairo
- Visiting Professor, International EMPH in Emergency and Disaster Management, Tel Aviv University
- Dr. Ciottone is the editor-in-chief of the textbook Disaster Medicine, published by Mosby.
- Fares, S., Zubaid, M., Al-Mahmeed, W., Ciottone, G., Sayah, A., Al Suwaidi, J., et al. Utilization of Emergency Medical Services by Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes in the Arab Gulf States. J Emerg Med.
- Ganz, A., Yu, X., Schafer, J., D’Hauwe, S., Nathanson, L. A., Burstein, J., Ciottone, G, et al. DIORAMA: Dynamic information collection and resource tracking architecture. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, 1, 386-389.
- Kelly, S. P., Weiner, S. G., Anderson, P. D., Irish, J., Ciottone, G., Pini, R., et al. Learner perception of oral and written examinations in an international medical training program. Int J Emerg Med, 3, 21-26.
- M.D., University of Massachusetts School of Medicine